Area of Learning
Curriculum for Early Years: 18months– 5 years old
- Communication and Language development involves giving children opportunities to experience arich language environment; to develop their confidence and skills in expressing themselves; and tospeak and listen in a range of situations.
- Physical development involves providing opportunities for young children to be active andinteractive; and to develop their co-ordination, control, and movement. Children must also be helpedtounderstand the importance of physical activity, and to make healthy choices in relation to food.
- Personal, Social and Emotional development involves helping children to develop a positive senseof themselves, and others; to form positive relationships and develop respect for others; to developsocial skills and learn how to manage their feelings; to understand appropriate behaviour in groups; andto have confidence in their own abilities.
- Literacy development involves encouraging children to link sounds and letters and to begin toread and write. Children will be given access to a wide range of reading materials (books, poems,and other written materials) to ignite their interest.
- Mathematics involves providing children with opportunities to develop and improve their skills incounting, understanding and using numbers, calculating simple addition and subtraction problems; andto describe shapes, spaces, and measures.
- Understanding the World involves guiding children to make sense of their physical world and theircommunity through opportunities to explore, observe and find out about people, places, technology andthe environment.
- Expressive Arts and Design involves enabling children to explore and play with a wide range ofmedia and materials, as well as providing opportunities and encouragement for sharing their thoughts,ideas and feelings through a variety of activities in art, music, movement, dance, role-play, and designand technology.